Mahone Islands Conservation Association
 Find Us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter     Donate Now
Andrews Island Project - 2004/2005

The Plans
Iin 2004, MICA obtained an accepted offer on Andrews Island, and completed a successful title search. The goal was to raise funds to purchase the island and transfer it to public ownership. After purchase the plan is to develop a stewardship programme that will seek a balance between conservation and recreation.

The Campaign
To raise $620,000 by April 30, 2005.

The Island

  • just over 20 acres in size
  • granted in 1776
  • original name was Wamblewreath then changed to Ernst in the 1820s, then Andrews in 1860 (also called Billy's Island)
  • the island has two sand beaches and is covered with mixed woodland, which includes a stand of mature beech trees.

The Harris Cottage in 1935
The only known habitation on Andrews Island was a cottage built by the Rev. Ned Harris, Anglican rector in Mahone Bay from 1884 to 1931.

Ned Harris Family at Andrews Island, 1935

 
 
Home | The Islands Today | Island History | About MICA | News & Events | Get Involved | Site Index

Updated November 20, 2017
© 2004-2017; Mahone Islands Conservation Association. All rights reserved